Cunard Lines’s Queen Elizabeth Named Best Luxury Cruises Ship for Entertainment and for Atrium Design in travel weekly Magellan Awards
A panel of judges comprised of nationally renowned cruise industry experts named?Cunard Line?s?Queen Elizabeth??Best Luxury Cruise Ship for Entertainment? and ?Best Luxury Cruise Ship for Atrium Design? for this year?s Travel Weekly Magellan Awards. ?The ?Best Luxury Cruise Ship? awards signify the ocean liner?s prevalence in providing the ultimate luxury cruise for which Cunard is known. ?With more than 550 entries from around the world, the Magellan Award winners represent the best in the travel industry and salute the outstanding travel professionals behind it all.
The Travel Weekly Magellan Awards judges panel included:
- Bob Dickinson, former president, CEO, Carnival Cruise Lines
- Peter Greenberg, travel editor, CBS ?The Early Show?
- Patricia Schultz, author, ?1,000 Places to See Before You Die?
- Johnny Jet, travel blogger
- Rudy Maxa, host, PBS ?Rudy Maxa?s World?
- Lalia Rach, professor and founding dean, NYU Tisch Center for Hospitality, Tourism and Sports Management
- Burt Wolf, internationally syndicated TV journalist
?It is most rewarding for our youngest Queen to receive such high accolades from the industry?s most notable and respected experts,? said Peter Shanks, president of Cunard Line. ??The tribute is a testament to our ongoing commitment to provide world-class entertainment offerings, as well as our signature, grand public spaces.?
Queen Elizabeth, the newest and second largest Cunard ship ever built, offers the very best of Cunard’s heritage and traditions, along with classic and modern day luxuries and entertainment. ?She relives, in modern glamour, the high society culture of the 1930s and 40s. ?Travellers can partake in intimate dancing at the Yacht Club, engage in ballroom dance lessons, attend an exclusive Royal Nights themed ball, or see plays and musicals performed by the Queen Elizabeth Theatre Company ? the largest production company at sea. ?The ship’s variety of theatrical productions includes:
- ?La Danza? ? a non-stop dance show highlighting emerging dance cultures from the rockabilly jive and fiery paso doble, to authentic Cuban beats
- ?Hotel Royale? ? a Cinderalla-esque story featuring a declining city hotel desperately in need of a makeover. ?With unusual guests and a dysfunctional staff, will this hotel be able to return to its prime?
- ?Vanity Fair? ? features popular music, dance and cultures of a bygone era, with a touch of the Avant Garde
- ?Jazz, Blues & Rock?n?Roll? ? accompanied by the Royal Court Theatre Orchestra, this enchanting performance is a show not to be missed!
Additionally, a vast array of enrichment opportunities is available, including the Cunard Book Club and award-winning Cunard Insights programme. ?Other leisurely pursuits can be enjoyed on the Games Deck, featuring croquet and lawn bowls greens. ?Guests may also rejuvenate at the spa, or indulge in daily, white-gloved afternoon tea.
Art Deco features on board pay homage to the original Queen Elizabeth and reflect a more civilized era of travel. ?Centered in the ship?s atrium, an 18.5 foot decorative marquetry panel portraying the original Queen Elizabeth sits atop the Grand Lobby?s soaring central arched space on the sweeping staircase leading up from the main deck. ?Surrounded by lavish wall panels, balconies and an elevated ceiling, the decorative wood inlay serves as the design anchor for the atrium and reflects Queen Elizabeth?s predecessor in interior extravagance, d?cor and style, with a modern twist. ?The piece is prominently displayed to welcome guests with an everlasting impression of Queen Elizabeth?s grandeur as they embark on each voyage. ?Designer David Linley, the only nephew of HM Queen Elizabeth, created the majestic centerpiece.
For more information about Queen Elizabeth or to book a voyage, consult your Travel Agent, call Cunard toll-free 1-800-728-6273 or go to www.cunard.com.