Family Holidays Poised for Strong Growth in Asia Pacific
SINGAPORE, JUNE 7, 2012 ? Findings from the inaugural Asia Pacific Family Travel 2012 survey indicate that families on vacation are prepared to spend even more than they already do. According to the survey conducted across key cities in seven Asia Pacific markets, an estimated 44 million people travel on family holidays every year ? chalking up an annual spend of US$29 billion.
Respondents in the survey also indicate that they are prepared to spend even more per trip, auguring well for the huge opportunities for the travel and hospitality industry in this region.
The survey was independently undertaken by Turner Media Solutions, in association with Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts, with the aim of understanding more about the growth and opportunities in this travel segment.
This travel segment has particular resonance with the Holiday Inn brand, whose founder Kemmons Wilson saw the need for a consistent and family friendly hotel product in an era of poor quality roadside hotels. These tenets still govern the Holiday Inn brand 60 years after the first property opened in Memphis in 1952 ? and family travel continues to grow, as this recent survey highlights.
Turner Media Solutions, Turner?s full-service in-house agency responsible for customised marketing solutions for clients across its leading entertainment channels including Cartoon Network, garnered independent opinion from 10,000 individuals in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, India and Australia. Estimated statistics and projections were formulated based on their feedback and pertain to the markets surveyed.
Turner’s Research Director, Betty Wu, said: [quote]?This unique survey shows the importance of family holidaymakers to the industry and reveals the opportunities out there for travel brands. More and more families in Asia Pacific have considerable disposable income and the study shows they intend to spend.?[/quote]
As many as 74 per cent of respondents in the survey said they travel with family members aged 19 and below, and two-thirds of respondents travel with children aged 14 and below.
[box type=”note” style=”rounded” border=”full”]Other key findings highlighted in the survey include:
- 51 million trips are made each year on family vacations
- 44m people spend US$29bn (Domestic: US$11.75bn; International: US$17.13bn)
- International travel is expected to see considerable increases in 2012: Indonesia (20 per cent); Malaysia (38 per cent); Philippines (81 per cent)
- Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines and India will remain popular destinations for family travellers, with growth expected from North Asia and regions outside Asia
- Typically, the length of stay for domestic family travel is 4 days, whilst the length of stay for international family travel is 8 days[/box]